Subject: [Leica] IMG: Fully Restored 1948 Stinson 108-3
From: bill at grimwood.net (Bill Grimwood)
Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 13:36:29 -0500

Thanks Jim.

Bill, Huntsville

-----Original Message-----
From: lug-bounces+bill=grimwood.net at leica-users.org
[mailto:lug-bounces+bill=grimwood.net at leica-users.org] On Behalf Of Jim
Nichols
Sent: Friday, September 30, 2011 1:24 PM
To: LUG at Leica-Users.org
Cc: Olympus Camera Discussion

Dropped in at the local airport for a few minutes this morning, and spotted
a lucky pilot tying down his recently fully restored 1948 Stinson 108-3.  I
could see that the outside was perfect.  When asked if I wanted to see the
inside, I was amazed to see that the full instrument panel was also
original.  The whole airplane was a step back in time to the days when
flying was much simpler and one was free to go almost anywhere he desired.

I have never flown a Stinson, but felt a connection because Eddie Stinson's
father was City Engineer at one time in the little Mississippi town where I
grew up, and the now gone grass airport was named Stinson Field.  In the 50s
I flew into it when it was all grass, and later when the local crop dusters
put in an 1800ft narrow blacktop runway.

The Stinson was parked with the old DC-3 in the background.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Fully+Restored+1948+Stinson+108.jpg
.html

The nose carries the popular name:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Flying+Station+Wagon.jpg.html

And the tail carries the famous Stinson trademark:
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/OldNick/Original+Stinson+Trademark+on+Tail.
jpg.html

All captured with the only camera that I had with me, my Samsung Convoy II
phone.

Comments and critiques welcomed.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA