Subject: [Leica] Our Fair City - Palo Alto
From: richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man)
Date: Sun, 25 Sep 2011 01:32:50 -0700

(Drat, something wrong with my new domain www.richardmanphoto.com so this
will be an inline post!)

I needed to test out some film processing procedures, so I took the bike out
and rode out with the XPan. Nothing special here, but may be give you a
sense of life in our fair city.

The unemployment rate in California is well over 12%, but you wouldn't know
it in Palo Alto. This new house is designed by an architect, being built on
a "large" (quarter acre?) lot. Most houses that come to the market are sold
within a few short weeks. Facebook/Google effect.
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-1.jpg

The following non-descript photos of a blocked off temporary fence is the
new home of Larry Page. We rode by it over the Summer and we were aghast at
how big the property is. It's about half a city block long! We didn't know
it's Larry Page's house of course, but we did figure that it must be some
rich CEO or something.

Then the day afterward, the local newspaper said his new neighbors
complained that the construction was pumping out a lot of ground water with
an accompanying photo.
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-2.jpg
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-3.jpg

A basker and someone taking a nap:
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-4.jpg

Border declared bankruptcy and closed all stores. The Palo Alto location was
in an old theater that probably dated from early 1900s. The restaurant next
to it, Hans Bistro, has my images on their wall since 2009.

http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-5.jpg
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-6.jpg
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-7.jpg

The other old theater, is still functional! Thanks to David Packard (the son
of the HP founder).
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-8.jpg

And we even have a local bookstore! Apparently since 1932
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-9.jpg

As you may have seen from Herb's photos, our city likes to spend money on...
arts. There is now an art building made with glass bottles of different
sizes right in front of the City Hall:
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-10.jpg
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-11.jpg

The local fire department must also be doing some sort of employee
appreciation day or something:
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-12.jpg
http://5pmlight.com/PICS/PA-walk-2011/pab-13.jpg

With that, my roll of film was finished, and time to go home.
--
// richard <http://www.imagecraft.com/>
// richard's personal photo blog: <http://www.richardmanphoto.com>

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] Our Fair City - Palo Alto)