Subject: [Leica] IMG: revisiting some old images of the eastern Sierra
From: abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge)
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 2011 14:15:04 -0700

Since I have some time on my hands, and finally I can sit at the desk in my
studio, I'm revisiting a images I took back in 2002 when my wife and I took
our first trip from Lake Tahoe, down US 395, to Bodie and Lee Vining,
crossing the Sierra through Yosemite on Hwy 120 over Tioga Pass.

This is a wonderful drive and in late October with the color near its peak,
it was especially magical. We left northern Lake Tahoe well before sunrise,
so the long golden sun caught the cottenwood trees as we approached Topaz.
Couldn't have been more appropriate! I believe we stopped in Bridgeport for
breakfast and then on to Bodie.

I tried to find the original scans but the Wiebetech device that handles the
removable drives has decided that it's FireWire electronics are fried so
until it gets back from being serviced those scans aren't accessible. But I
have managed to find at least some of the negatives and transparencies I
shot.

Here are the first three:

<http://adam-bridge.smugmug.com/gallery/18998620_KksJhp/1475955514_TSJ6FHq#1475953672_pRTPk7n>

These were taken in the middle-afternoon about half-way up Tioga Pass. I
loved the shapes of the willows, their colors, the bits of color spread
through the conifer forest. When I shot them originally I was quite
disappointed, I remember. Perhaps I have learned more about cropping and
about scanning in the meantime.

These were made with either the M6ttl or the R8, I no longer remember which
and they aren't marked on the negative sleeves. I hadn't learned to do that
yet. It's the older Portra 160VC and scanned recently on a Nikon Super
Coolscan 4000 using VueScan software, the Nikon software no longer works
under OS X 10.7.

I'm curious about how people react to these. Yes good? Adequate? Do my
memories color them too much?

Thanks for looking!

Adam Bridge

Replies: Reply from photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman) ([Leica] IMG: revisiting some old images of the eastern Sierra)