Subject: [Leica] IMG: More Experiments with ETTR
From: kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner)
Date: Thu, 8 Sep 2011 12:55:37 -0700

I fell in love with Lightroom from the day I got it. However, I must
say that Adobe manages to obscure many aspects of its interface. I
don't object to the fact that there are so many ways of doing the
same thing; one just learns a favorite way and can ignore the rest.
What I object to are things which are totally obscure--ridiculously
easy when learned, but hard to discover, even in some cases with the
aid of available books.

For example, it took me a long time to discover how to set print size
in the print module. For a few months, the only way I could print was
to export a jpg and then print it using a display program, Preview in
the case of Macintosh. And only yesterday, using a reference book,
was I able to understand "history". It wasn't obvious that clicking
on an earlier history did not negate later ones until quitting LR,
and that the later ones could be saved by using a snapshot.

Finally, and maybe I'm wrong about this, but some actions seem to be
in the main drop-down menus as well as elsewhere, some actions seem
to be in contextual menus, and some only appear which you click on
some mysterious hidden spot in the window.

Sometimes I think the Adobe people should take a course in human
interface from the Apple people :-)

Herb

--
Herbert Kanner