Subject: [Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....
From: spencer at aotera.org (Spencer Cheng)
Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2011 12:41:34 -0400

Bob,

The reason that Time Machine doesn't work with FAT32 is complicated. The
short version is that Time Machine relies on the Mac's native file system
(HFS+) to keep track of what changed since the last backup. This is not
possible with non-HFS file systems. It the same reason that Windows backup
S/W doesn't usually work with HFS+ formatted disks. ;)

I usually format all my external disks are formatted with HFS+ to avoid this
problem and I don't let Time Machine back up these disks.

If my Mac breaks and I can't wait, I can borrow/beg/buy another Mac within
24 hours. There are no advantages for me to keeping my external disks
formatted as FAT32.

Be aware that FAT32 can NOT handle volumes bigger than 2TB.

/sc

Replies: Reply from robertbaron1 at gmail.com (Robert Baron) ([Leica] Looking For Simple, Automated, Cross-Platform Back Up Solution....)