Subject: [Leica] The Other great Canadian Photog pix of Churchill
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 3 Sep 2011 19:13:58 -0700

And that moment folks the door opened for KARSH  to become recognized as the
brilliant portraitist that he was!

His future was assured without question!

May I add an anecdote as he and his photographer brother MALAK were friends
of mine as we all lived in Ottawa.

KARSH'S first wife, Solange was his most devout image builder, without
question she created him as much as his ability did.

Paramount Studios from HOLLYWOOD sent 3 of there hotshot big-time people to
Ottawa to, ready? Check out KARSH to see if he really was as good as
everyone was saying. Obviously his portraits didn't require anyone from
HOLLYWOOD for confirmation. He was going to shoot a series of portraits of
some big-name stars and it required discussing costs. Rarely did he do the
talking as Solange - image maker did all that kind of stuff as he looked on.

The 3 arrived at the studio. Solange met them and they offered "We have an
appointment with Mr. KARSH."
Solange, as only she could spit it out in her image creating fashion offered
quite bluntly and in a voice only a rattlesnake would understand she was
about to strike!   READY? :-)

"IF YOU WERE SPEAKING TO GOD, WOULD YOU SAY, "MR.GOD?" IT'S, "KARSH!"

Apparently these Hollywood guys weren't accustomed to being spoken down to
in such fashion and they were sort of put in their place before meeting the
great one.... "KARSH!" They had been humbled before the talks began. :-)

Just thought you might find that a little interesting anecdote.

cheers,
Dr. ted :-)

Oh yeah another little side bar. ;-) Gotta throw this in. ;-) I think it was
1971? I won the KARSH AWARD  for B&W portraiture in Photojournalism at the
Professional Photographers of Canada annual competition. ;-) OK guys, it had
nothing to do with who you knew! :-) 5 other judges picked it and he had to
approve it without knowing who the photographer was! Kind of neat though.
:-) Just thought you might like to know. :-) :-)

I have another, but we'll save that for another day. ;-)

 offered.... "