Subject: [Leica] Before digital camera, they developed film...
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Fri, 26 Aug 2011 18:01:24 -0500

Hi Frank,

Funny you should mention that.  With the Discoverer system, the parachute
ripped and streamed because of the sudden drag force that developed on
deployment.  We ran wind tunnel tests and helped them develop a "reefing
system", which used a reefing line to limit the amount the chute could open
on deployment.  After a period of deceleration, the reefing line was cut by
an explosive cutter, allowing the chute to fully inflate.  This led to the
first successful recovery of a data capsule from the Discoverer.

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA