Subject: [Leica] OT: Cell phone in Europe
From: clive.moss at gmail.com (Clive Moss)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2011 17:11:43 -0500

I used Boingo Mobile ( http://tinyurl.com/3chqo87 ) for my my iPhone
on a trip to the UK last year.  I found only a few hotspots that it
worked well at - but it earned its keep when I was at a remote hotel
for a few days where their service worked - it is cheap - $7.95 per
month, no contract, so it does not need much use to pay it's way.

Add Skype with a calling plan to your iPhone and you can make low cost
calls anywhere you can get wifi. In the UK, Starbucks and MacDonalds
were free.

Boingo's business model is to partner with multiple networks for
access - if you are in one of their partner's wifi range, you are good
to go.

The ATT iPhone plans are exorbitant - be sure to switch off data
roaming unless you want to take out a second mortgage.
--
Clive
http://clive.smugmug.com