Subject: [Leica] Mac operating system compatibility question
From: john at mcmaster.co.nz (John McMaster)
Date: Tue, 23 Aug 2011 00:44:34 +0000

Sorry that is not strictly true, there has been a dropping of support for
Classic OS apps over the years.

What 10.7 does is drop support for PowerPC apps, probably as only x64 OS. In
10.6 and earlier there was Rosetta which allowed PPC apps to run on Intel.
You can check which apps are PPC, Intel or Intel 64 - not in front of a Mac
at the moment so not sure if System Profiler > Software or in Activity
Monitor.

I have to say that I have one new machine on 10.7 but am not rushing to
update the two more powerful ones from 10.6.....

john

Not only do the new Airs come with 10.7, it is a particular build (with
matching 10.7.1 update). However the new Airs have much better  CPUs  (I
have a 13" i7) than last years.  It is now over a decade since OSX came into
production, quite good support I would say?

What do you need for travel that will not run? Mine has minimal installs,
just Lightroom, Office 2011, Firefox, VLC and a couple of utilities, not
needing much else.....

john