Subject: [Leica] Mac operating system compatibility question
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 22 Aug 2011 13:56:26 -0400

I regularly use two Mac computers, an older 12" aluminum Powerbook, and a
reasonably modern Intel 20" iMac. Each has a different operating system
which has been updated to the latest version. The 12" Powerbook uses OS
10.4. The iMac, OS 10.6. I have been contemplating getting an 11" Mac Air
for travel. I understand that the OS loaded on the new Mac Airs is Lion (OS
10.7) which will not run most of the legacy software I have on the older
Macs. Indeed I have legacy software dating back to the Mac 128 and I have an
older computer (Powerbook Firewire, OS 9) in the event I need to run one of
those programs. Indeed some are quite good and I wish that emulators were
available for the older systems on the new computers.
Here is my specific question: Is there a way of loading OS 10.6 on the newer
Mac Air to keep it compatible with the software I currently use? Or must I
buy buy one of last year's Mac Airs with OS 10.6?
Larry Z

Replies: Reply from abridge at mac.com (Adam Bridge) ([Leica] Mac operating system compatibility question)
Reply from john at chiaroscuro.co.nz (John McMaster) ([Leica] Mac operating system compatibility question)
Reply from pjleeson at mchsi.com (Philip Leeson) ([Leica] Mac operating system compatibility question)