Subject: [Leica] IMG: Another Airport Visit
From: jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols)
Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2011 01:54:34 -0500

Hi Nathan,

These sprayers do crop treatment at very low altitudes, and many fields can
be in tight quarters, bordered by roads, power lines, and other properties.
After each pass, they make a very tight climbing 180-deg turn, and do a
return pass.  At times, this may require them to fly beneath power lines,
and a wind gust, or misjudgment could cause accidental contact with an
overhead cable.  The stiff bar on the windshield will deflect the wire over
the top, and the anti-snag cable would, hopefully, keep it from snagging on
the vertical tail.

Hope this helps understand a fairly dangerous occupation.  The pilot told me
he had been flying water bombers fighting fires, and only recently returned
to smaller airplanes.  This is not an occupation for the faint of heart!

Jim Nichols
Tullahoma, TN USA