Subject: [Leica] Leica lens production
From: photo at frozenlight.eu (Nathan Wajsman)
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 09:35:44 +0200

Yes of course he has the right to do what he wants. What the article
explained that according to German law, once he had over 95% of the shares,
he could squeeze out the remaining 5% (i.e. force them to sell their shares
to him). That is what the little girl was pleading for him not to do.
Apparently he intended to do that in the past because some of the minority
shareholders interfered with his running of the company. Certain decisions
have to be put to a shareholder vote etc., so I can certainly understand his
wish to take the company private. Despite what he said to the girl (that he
has no current plans to do so) I have no doubt that at some point he will
conclude that the bureaucracy associated with being a listed company is not
worth the benefits (easier to get financing if needed). My last employer
before becoming an EU civil servant was in a privately held company, and the
one before was in a listed company. Both had roughly the same turnover, in
the 120-140M Euro range. For a company that size being listed is a
significant burden.

Cheers,
Nathan

Nathan Wajsman