Subject: [Leica] MAMA-Mitsui Gold Archive DVDs
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 22:46:55 -0600

There are DVDs and then there are DVDs...

I still prefer the MAM-A Gold Archive CDs for photos.... but have been using
the MAM-A Gold archive DVD's at times for video files that are larger....
and for some photo subjects...   I try to keep things on a hard drive as
well which makes migration easier...

The CDs as medium should last 120+ years...   the DVDs around 50....   (so
they should last long enough till they need to be transfered to the next
offline storage medium)

I don't stick anything of value on anything else.... we sometimes duplicate
videos and other short-term usage/giveaways on memorex or other basic
DVDs.... and the failure rate of those DVDs is scary....  I've seen way too
many DVDs that aren't readable in 3 or 4 years...  assuming they didn't fail
immediately...  I have audio CD's that people recorded less than 5 years ago
that have errors... and cannot be copied/duplicated directly without playing
them and re-recording the audio.

I've not had any problems with any of my Mitsui/MAM-A CDs or DVDs...

Kodak used to say that they didn't know exactly how long their (Mitsui)
silver or gold CDs would last.... but that all things being equal, their
gold medium ones would last 6 times longer than their silver ones...

I appreciated Brians presentation and notes....   a bit sobering...  but
that's the reality of digital media

I do miss the days when you shot a roll a slide film/ or negs, developed it,
put it in a page and stuck in a binder catalog...   life was so much
easier...

On the other hand....  It is awfully nice not to have to scan negatives and
slides and retouch out scratches and dust embedded in the emulsion....

Duane