Subject: [Leica] Editing on laptops
From: dbirkey at hcjb.org (Duane Birkey)
Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 23:44:02 -0600

Uh..... Whether you can or should edit on a laptop depends entirely on your
laptop....   When I travel.... I'm using a Dell Vostro....  and well....
if by editing you mean looking to see whether the images are keepers or
not.... it works fine for that.....  I consider it essential for checking to
see if any dust has snuck on to your sensor.... and backing things up on
different drives....   etc....   Deciding what is working/ flailing...   and
seeing what other shots I still need to get ...

I also do rough adjustments to raw files.... sort of getting a jump start on
things... knowing that I can further tweak things when I get home....    But
I've not been able to get the screen on my laptop to match my standard
desktop monitor....   not even close...   The variation of what a black
point looks like as I move around or change the angle of view ever so
slightly....  not to mention the funky lighting and environment one finds
while traveling to off the beat places and the environment means I'm
grasping at straws with it...  Last trip everything was a good third of stop
different from what I thought looked good on the laptop and what looks good
on my desktop.... and that variance is not acceptable to me...

If I have to submit photos for something while I'm traveling... I really
heavily on Histograms....   and I have a few standard files of typical
scenes from previous trips from my desktop that I open to compare
side-by-side...  This is especially helpful when photographing dark-skinned
Africans....

So I don't make any serious final files while traveling...  I want to use
every available moment to shoot.... and that means I'm usually too tired to
seriously edit anyhow....

But if I had the latest Mac Book Pro...  I might think about doing more
editing on it...

Duane (I'd rather be shooting than editing) Birkey

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] Editing on laptops)