Subject: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000
From: john.o.newell at comcast.net (J. Newell)
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 00:43:17 +0000 (UTC)

Sorry for the serial posts...as an additional observation on this paragraph:
" CaNikon cropped is not the same as M8 cropped and you'll never get this
through your head until you try the M8, Mark. In numerous comparisons the
image quality of the DMR's cropped 10MP files were found to be comparable to
the uncropped 15MP Canon 1DsII. I suspect you'd find much the same
relationship between the M8's files and the full-frame CaNikon files the NYT
editors are accustomed to seeing. Going from a D700 and good Nikon glass to
an M8 with Leica glass will improve the technical quality of the photos you
have to sell except where you need the D700's high ISO capabilities."

...please let me add that, into the bargain, you will spend much less time
in PP with the M8 files. That has been my experience, anyway.

John Newell

>In the 24 features shot for the NYTimes from '07 to '09 the issue that I
>was
>shooting cropped came up many times. On several occasions they were ready
>to run one of my pix I'd just turned in big on the cover of the section but
>when things calmed down when they saw they were not getting the same kind
>of
>full frame (then Canon) quality they were used to it ended up not so big on
>the page.
>That's how I perceived it at least.

CaNikon cropped is not the same as M8 cropped and you'll never get this
through your head until you try the M8, Mark. In numerous comparisons the
image quality of the DMR's cropped 10MP files were found to be comparable to
the uncropped 15MP Canon 1DsII. I suspect you'd find much the same
relationship between the M8's files and the full-frame CaNikon files the NYT
editors are accustomed to seeing. Going from a D700 and good Nikon glass to
an M8 with Leica glass will improve the technical quality of the photos you
have to sell except where you need the D700's high ISO capabilities.

BTW, It's OK to just come out and say you have an irrational hate for the
M8. No need to try and make it seem like a rational choice. Or you could ask
Ted or Tina how they're able to sell so many photos made with the crappy,
unusable M8.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com