Subject: [Leica] Thinking about a D700 or D7000 long reply IMGs
From: afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:43:28 -0400

By risked I meant "no back up if it shut down". I have had to send the DMR
to Germany twice. Once because the connection failed to the SD card.
Camera was useless and once to repair a faulty LED in the display: not a
fatal issue, but annoying, so only carrying one camera to far away places
in my opinion is  bit of a risk ifff you want to come home with images.

My second back up for the files failed in Equador. If it had been my only
one I'd have lost all my image that way as well. Digital is unforgiving.
Water in the electronics and down she goes. We saw 2 cameras die in
Antarctica through the damp. I've not been anywhere except Egypt where the
dust was really bad: can be bad with wind in Aussie desert of course. My
Minolta seized up in Europe when film end touched the shutter. Turned
itself off and never came on again till fixed in Australia. Carried all
though Europe for 4 months as dead weight.

So I wanted a second camera body: its not a big deal. I saw it as a risk.
You clearly don't: fine.

Enough.

Alastair