Subject: [Leica] Brian's Presentation
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 14 Aug 2011 17:40:12 -0400

Well I've been reading for decades that one of the big wildcards in the
archival thing is PAPER.
As a kid in school they teach you that paper comes from wood. Tree's
But when you grow up and want to be a photographer they teach you that  wood
is an evil thing. What you want is rag. And rag is cotton. But that's ok
I've always loved cotton.
In the darkroom its all about getting the hypo out of the paper. Stuff
sticks in the paper fibers.
Not its not. Now we have layers of stuff in the paper whose archival
properties we can only guess at.  Then we spray more stuff on. Though many
people feel that when Wilhelm puts a sheet in their microwave which has a
bank of florescent lights in it it goes ding at 102.5 years and its a time
machine.
I'm not a believer in time machines yet.
I think what we know about inkjet archival is we don't know anything yet.
Its only been ten years.
And on that end a smart approach would be KISS.
Pigment on rag.

--
Mark R.