Subject: [Leica] Noctilux versions AND LENS SHADES !!!! :-)
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sat, 13 Aug 2011 16:25:47 -0400

Nikon lens shades have gotten thin and cheap and seem to fallen into the
category of "consumables".  A pro photog told me at one point that he buys
them three at at time. I have re bought a few but in the interim have found
it didn't with many lenses make that much of a difference.
For sure with a wide angle lens a shade does NOT make much difference.
What could they really do way out to the side sticking up a quarter of an
inch. All they do is get in the way.
The zoom lenses tend to have awkward big thin shades but if its a normal or
tele then I'll for sure have them on as they are obviously going to really
do something.  They are putting the front rim of the lens in the dark! A
great thing! Not my wide zoom like the 12-24 I used to get a lot of mileage
out of. But I tend to most often shoot with wides.

On my camera for the past several days is a 24-85. No shade.
The shade might do something when I'm between 50 and 85 and its a bright
day.
But not something I cant fix with a small shift of the histogram levels
adjustment later.  I may have to order a new one as I will be wanting to use
this lens for a job.
--
Mark R.