Subject: [Leica] Dust blobs M9…cleaning? Procedure with pictures
From: douglas.sharp at gmx.de (Douglas Sharp)
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 20:35:36 +0200

Hi Ken,

I reckon the same procedure as I use for Canon sensors
applies:

1). Use an Arctic Butterfly brush first to pick off the
loose dust (otherwise the blower will just puff the
stuff somewhere inside the camera) - you don't need to
touch the sensor with it, it picks off the dust by
static electricity.
2) Test shots
3) If you still have dust blobs, try the blower and
follow it up with the Arctic Butterfly again
4) Test shots
5) If you still have the dreaded blobs, try a wet clean
- I use VDust Plus fluid and swabs.
6) Test shots again
7) Second wet clean - if necessary

There are also fluids specially designed for the
removal of oily spots from sensors. A look at the
Visible Dust website will show you everything you could
ever need for sensor cleaning.

I've often found that the first wipe doesn't get rid of
everything, but the sensor is generally spick and span
after the second.

Some people also use an illuminated loupe for finding
the dust or grease spots - I think it's a waste of
money, because the procedure above gets rid of them
without you having to know where they are

If I remember rightly, a spot at the top of the frame
is at the bottom of the sensor and that left and right
are inverted, so if you do have a very stubborn spot,
you know where to look for it if need be.

Here's part of the cleaning sequence (5 to 7) in pictures:

Picture showing distinctive "blobs"
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Bits+and+Pieces/Spots.jpg.html

"Blob" remaining after the first wet wipe (to the right
of the bottom section of the lattice tower, about half
way up - probably moved there by the first wipe)
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Bits+and+Pieces/First_wipe.jpg.html

Clean enough for me
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/DMS/Bits+and+Pieces/second_wipe.jpg.html

Cheers