Subject: [Leica] OT - upgrading Windows XP data and system disks - aquick howto
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2011 16:47:16 -0700

I have done both.. clone a drive, and start from scratch... The scratch is
particularly hard, and time consuming.  Cloning is a LOT easier....like
basically 1 stroke of the keyboard....

I went from XP to Vista by scratch methodology.. and then cloned that drive
so I have a spare, ready to go drive.  ( the old smaller one)  Thinking I
would never have to scratch start again...
Then I decided to get a new computer, with Windows 7... and had to start
from scratch all over again.....I remember the pain....

I cloned my Wife's computer, and it works great.. went from a 80GB drive to
a 500GB..   Simple!

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net

I weighed the two options, and felt that, even with all of the baggage, I,
with my limited abilities, could clone a drive more successfully than I
could do a clean install.  And,  with a factory-installed version of XP, I
had no disk to start from.

On the advice of a colleague on the Oly list, whose knowledgeable background
is very helpful, I located an older version of Acronis, which did all I
needed.  The later versions still have growing pains, if I understand the
situation correctly.

Jim Nichols

Message from red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone) ([Leica] OT - upgrading Windows XP data and system disks - a quick howto)
Message from jhnichols at lighttube.net (Jim Nichols) ([Leica] OT - upgrading Windows XP data and system disks - aquick howto)