Subject: [Leica] 2 bath Pyrocat-HD
From: roark.paul at gmail.com (Paul Roark)
Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 13:37:45 -0700

> ... using Microdol-X, which is very different than Pyrocat, ...

Yes, it is.  I've thought a Pyro staining type of developer might be
one route to lower grain, at least in theory.  It would probably take
testing to find what process really results in the best scanned files.

My general view, however, is that, in retrospect, for purposes of
scanning, smoothness and fine grain may have been better goals for me
than high adjacency (chemical sharpening).  I was very interested in
chemical sharpening in my enlarger days.  However now those negatives
suffer when compared to what the digital cameras can achieve.  I, in
fact, first switched to Technical Pan and the Bronica RF 645 in part
to cure the grain problem.  But if I were to go back to Tmax and my
SL66 I would adopt a developing procedure that stressed smoothness
over sharpness if that came as a result of chemical adjacency effects,
which tended to sharpen the grain as well as the details over the
entire image.   The ability to do localized PS sharpening is a more
flexible approach to sharpening, in my view.

Paul
www.PaulRoark.com

Message from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] 2 bath Pyrocat-HD)
Message from disfromage at ameritech.net (Richard Wasserman) ([Leica] 2 bath Pyrocat-HD)