Subject: [Leica] IMG: New Family Member FITNESS
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sat, 23 Jul 2011 20:23:09 -0700

Tina OFFERED:

> slightly older than I am.  He told us he is 88.  All of his friends are in
> nursing homes and he is bound and determined not to go there.  So he's in
> an
> exercise class three days a week at the YMCA.  He's keeping up with  the
> exercise group just fine, too!<<<<<<<<

Hi Tina,
It's attitude, screw this getting old crap and whining about not being able
to do certain things like we used to. Well as I do! :-) That's a fair
assessment....... we can't do everything as we did when we were younger with
strength and stronger body abilities.

But I will give the crew an absolute word of warning if you start into an
exercise routine...... "DON'T START AND DO IT FOR 6 MONTHS OR 6 YEARS , THEN
STOP!" YOU WILL DIE SOONER!"
The human body deteriorates faster than you can build it up! Particularly
when you are older. You can do amazing things like I did for my 80th
birthday......... 80 sit-ups one right after the other. Actually during the
training period for the birthday event I on several occasions broke the 95
barrier without a puff.

 Birthday occurred two years ago, I won the bets, scared the hell out of my,
in their 20's grandsons, thinking I was going to kill myself and were really
on my case to stop before I did kill myself!! However I did it with flying
colours and surprised the hell out of about 50-60 guests at the party. Then
did one more, to more cheering and offered to all the grandsons.......... 6
of them... "Now that extra one is so you boys know if you screw-up grandpa
can still KICK ASS!  And I, we had big hugs amongst all the laughing ! ;-)

Now the worst part and what you absolutely must avoid at all costs? Or you
will physically deteriorate faster than you ever imagined your body and
strength could disappear!!

With the birthday goal over, there wasn't a goal to meet! I just stopped,
actually basically let all my work outs end! BAD BAD BAD ME! The next thing
you know? You can't walk as far or as fast. Things you lifted before almost
an impossibility. Climbing stairs or hills looking for the new scenic angle
becomes a breath sucking impossibility! You loose the strength of your legs
in getting up or to stand for a long time.

QUITE FRANKLY IT'S A BITCH and there isn't any other way to describe it!
What else begins to happen is you become morose and at times depressed
because ----- "WHY THE HELL AM I STILL HERE I'D BE BETTER OFF DEAD SYNDROME
CREEPS IN!"

Once you begin a workout go easy, build a comfortable routine, preferably
with trainer or in some kind of class to slowly build a routine without over
doing it and injuring yourself. BUT DO IT EVERY DAY!!!! MANDATORY WITHOUT
ANY BS EXCUSES ABOUT NOT DOING IT!

Preferably twice a day! And you can build it back up with the only reason?
You will feel better and what better reason than that? :-) Trust me, money
can't buy the feelings!

I'm now back into a new routine in my 83rd year! Hell it's only a number!
Before I go out for a walk at 7 a.m. I do 25 squats and stands rest a few
minutes and do another 25, great leg strengthening routine. Out the door and
I'm building to do a 1 hour power walk through the neighborhood. It's a
toughie due to my stupidity of stopping earlier. DON'T EVER DO THAT IF YOU
START!

A 94 year old doctor friend of mine has one thing he continues to harp at
me..... "If you don't exercise you will die!" Sooner! Than later! When I go
to visit him, my welcoming from him has been ""ARE MOVING YER ASS YET? OR
ARE YOU GOING TO DIE BEFORE ME?" :-) Then he gives me a big smile and up out
of his so called office chair sort of does a tappy toe thing of dance,
breaks out in a big smile!

And he's 94! And on a walk he can out pace me in a short time. Embarrassing
really!

The truth is, we do have a bunch of, what shall we say without
embarrassment, ."Quite a number of "mature gentlemen!  on list!" Tina, I
don't need to mention as she knows what this stuff is all about! Actually a
few years back she was a major influence on me to move my ass and get at it!

So may I address them as the main group! " THE old guys!" :-) DO not let
yourselves become trapped to the TV  idiot box most of the day, refuse
becoming involved in truly time wasting events, but do get involved in
losing weight, walking for fun (always take your camera slung over the
shoulder... "JUST IN CASE!' But when you are out for that early morning
power walk........... that is really what you are doing! You are not out
strolling looking for photo moments! If something major occurs do I really
have to tell you what to do? :-)

Trust me the first week or two? You will hate me and yourself for being so
stupid to start! But do you know what in real time?

By the first of October you will all feel like new human beings worth more
than hundred bucks! Or more! :-)
Your complete spirit of life and living will become  enormous!

Take care now and get started. Sooner is better!

Sorry this has absolutely nothing to do with a LEICA ! But IT HAS EVERYTHING
TO DO WITH SOMETHING FAR MORE IMPORTANT!
YOUR PHYSICAL ABILITIES TO USE YOUR LEICA! :-) NOW GET AT IT! ;-)

cheers
Dr. ted :-)

Replies: Reply from kanner at acm.org (Herbert Kanner) ([Leica] IMG: New Family Member FITNESS)
Reply from lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll) ([Leica] IMG: New Family Member FITNESS)