Subject: [Leica] Luis and Steve
From: lluisripollquerol at gmail.com (Lluis Ripoll)
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2011 02:25:32 +0200

Jayanand,

First at all thank you very much your kind words for the book.

About Spain, this is not easy but economists are generally excellent
to explain the past and frequently null to predict the future. I'm
agree what you say, as well the excellent Nathan response. Spain has
been historically a Contry with big differences of their Regions, I've
heard that if Catalonia was independent the level of live will be
similar to the European highest levels. I don't know, what is true is
that not always the different Spanish gouvernements has do the good
investments, i.e. I recognize that is very important for develop a
Country have good communications, In Catalonia mostly of the Motorways
has a tall, in the rest of Spain no, Catalan motorways are plenty of
traffic, the rest no. The High Speed Trains are full from Barcelona -
Madrid, the gouvernement has invested millions on other lines without
really trafic. Even they have build some airports without traffic, the
most fun situation was some months ago, the inauguration of an
aeroport without planes...!  As you know my friend, the ROI is an
indispensable ratio for any investment, we have expend money in good
things but in the wrong direction.

Traditionnally Spain has never been a high developped nation with a
strong R+D, culture, owns industry..., the strong points in Spain has
been Tourism and Building, this has conducted the economy to a more
speculative economy than a productive economy. The way to correct this
is in my opinion education, education and education for the future
generations. In Spain there are some Banks really important, as
Santander, BBVA, La Caixa, and the finantial sysytem on these ones I
think is quite solid. But smaller Banks has used the boom of the
construction to make fast money, many current Spanish has believe they
was rich, the Banks was saying "we finance 100% of your new residence"
and I've heard, sometimes even more saying and you can buy a BMW ....
IMO Spain is one of the European countries that they are more citizens
with two or three residences, it also one country with a very plesant
level of live...., but now the FIESTA is finish, the European Banks
with loans to the Spanish banks are asking for his money and this "vil
metallo" don't run any more as it was.

Incapacity of the gouvernement to react?, yes, but also I think this
is a long history very attached to the Spanish economy cycles.
Corruption? yes, too much expenses in poltician things? yes.... and
many, many people has remained with similar incomes.

As Nathan said, initially the INDIGNATS was idealists and many people
was sharing his ideas, but what we can not share is that everything is
free, and some of the demands go too much on these style of idealisms.
We have lived some generations with an educational sysytem not very
good, I think we have some of the consequences on our politicians, our
young people, and our "indignats". Actually the unemployment is about
20%, but there is something rare here, on the years that the President
Aznar (a very good friend of Bush!), says "Espa?a va bien" (Spain goes
well) it was about 8 - 10 % unenployement! . What minds this! IMO that
there is something wrong on the basic structure.

Probably some politicians can protest in name of "indignats", but one
of the problems of this group is in my opinion they are organized on a
basis of Anarchism and Idealism, they are deciding with Assamblees,
his communication is throught Facebook or SMS.... All these
ingredients works for an initial revolution, but it is difficult give
them a real content. Protest is quite easy, but we need leaders with
programmes.

About Greece...., I don't know, Spain is certainly more solid, I think
UE was made to fast like a big "Fiesta" and now we are paying,
probably, some improvisations. I just remember two small interesting
books from Indro Montanelli, I've read longtime ago, "History of the
Romans" and "History of the Greeks", note the title, not History of
Rome or Greece, history of the people.... Montanelli said that one of
the causes why the Romans has been succesful was because they was
pragmatics and the Greeks Idealists.

Sorry to be too long ...

Cheers
Lluis

El 19/07/2011, a las 4:47, Jayanand Govindaraj escribi?: