Subject: [Leica] OT: Lightroom and Nik Efex
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 01:48:02 -0400

My comments and suggestions that I am overwhelmed by the flexibility of the
normal plain vanilla adobe camera raw interface and its black and white
conversion parameters which I've been extolling for weeks now. I've been
loving it for a few months now doing its thing it does with black and white
conversions. Very few of the captures I've been doing in months now have
been in left color.
A piece of third party software like plug inn's  or filters for Photoshop or
as a stand alone is created and used when they perceive that that aspect of
photoshops interface is weak. Well I can tell you that this facet of
Photoshops interface is not weak at all. Its been the center of my life for
months now and I can't be more excited about it.
I'm not all frustrated that things need to be easier or better or faster or
anything.
Wouldn't a more obvious approach to doing anything digitally is to see what
your normal Lightroom or Photoshop software can do first?
Just try it out?
Find out if for you its broke.
Becuae if it ain't broke then why try to fix it?

I think plenty of us confuse doing photography with throwing money at it.
The boring truth is once we accumulate our choice gear and software to back
it up its then time to just start using it that gear. The spending phase is
over and its time for the grind.
I've in my deep dark past spent tons of bucks on plug ins for Photoshop most
of those companies have gone under long ago staring from Kai's Power Tool on
down from about the very first version of Photoshop.
They are a diversion. A distraction.
When any of them do anything worthwhile Adobe just absorbs it like the sweet
Borg that it is.
Don't mess with Mother Adobe.
Learn Photoshop. Keep your Photoshop chops sharp. Adobe is not going to go
under.

On the  LUG photoshops is constantly criticized for having to much stuff in
it. But then peoples favorite thing to do is to throw money at it as if its
missing something important.

Mark William Rabiner

Although I just checked KPT is still with us I just don't know anyone who
uses it anymore. I think they went under for a while then came back.