Subject: [Leica] (FF) waned
From: wildlightphoto at earthlink.net (Doug Herr)
Date: Sat, 9 Jul 2011 07:03:41 -0700 (GMT-07:00)

Mark Rabiner wrote:

>Any Nikon or Canon lens needed a tube before AF.  With auto focus for some
>reason THEN they'd then go to 1:1.
>The Leica's did not use tubes but "ELPRO' s" which were multi element close
>up filters in a barrel and  I think came with most of the Leica lenses to
>get 1:1.

IIRC an early pre-set version of the 55mm f/3.5 Micro-Nikkor would focus to
1:1 without extension tubes, and there might have been a Pentax 1:1 macro
lens as well (not certain).  Canon, Minolta, Nikon and Leica Macro lenses
typically would focus to 1:2 with an accessory extension tube required for
1:1 reproduction ratio.  The Olympus OM system was particularly strong in
the macro area; I believe the 'normal' Oly macro lens also required a tube
for a 1:1 reproduction ratio.

AF has a hard time with long focussing helixes so this feature pushed lens
design to internal focus for macro lenses, allowing 1:1 reproduction ratios
without an accessory tube, at the cost of closer working distances.

Leica's ELRPO lenses were made is several flavors.  One was intended for the
100mm APO Macro which allowed 1:1 reproduction ratio, but most ELPRO lenses
were intended for normal-focus 50mm 'cron, 90mm and 135mm R lenses.  At best
these ELPRO lesnes would allow 1:2 reproduction ratio.  Though not
specifically made for them, some of the ELPROs would also fit the early
80-200 f/4.5 and 75-200mm f/4.5 zooms and 180mm f/4 Elmar-R.

Doug Herr
Birdman of Sacramento
http://www.wildlightphoto.com

Replies: Reply from mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner) ([Leica] (FF) waned)