Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 01 Jul 2011 15:40:02 -0400

Doug I don't find  "old" and "half assed" to be synonymous in the Leica
glass  sense. In general  Leica in its history has made very few
embarrassing bloopers. And quite  a few more classics.
I can see how some might not go for cutting edge ASPH sharpness as a first
lens  and or lens kit as I would with a new seven grand Leica body but I
respect that opinion.
My favorite lens in my M system is just about my oldest lens.
Its my Leitz 40mm Summicron C. Circa 1973-1977.
Its on my M6 right now right next to me.
Compactness wins out over my ASPH Summicron 35 on most  Leica M days.
Though if I was out to get a specific shot like for money or something I'd
use my 35 or 90 ASPH Summicrons.
-  by the way in general think the marque "Summicron" is what the Leica
marque  is all about. And I'd know. :)

Also there is plenty of Leica glass ported over from Minolta which id hate
to have as my glass over some rare or pricy Leica body. There'd be no point!

I think Leica glass can blow away the predominate Canon Nikon images coming
out with sparklingly higher rez and contrast but they do have other  viable
means as well to do such a thing that can be measured and seen.

Here is a shot on my Lug portfolio gallery shot with my Max Berek special.
My f 3.5 50mm Elmar collapsible.
http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/lugalrabs/tt061207_235548.jpg.html
Its been said Max Berek's contribution to the initial success of Leica was
just  as critical as that of Oscar Barnack who was behind of course the
first body.  Both circa 1925
As though it was such a small camera the lens was of such remarkably high
quality for the time that pretty clear images could be made from it.
And the fact that it was double frame instead of single frame.

Mark William Rabiner