Subject: [Leica] Hassy and Pentax are SOLD!
From: red735i at earthlink.net (Frank Filippone)
Date: Fri, 1 Jul 2011 10:41:07 -0700

Personally, I think maybe we got a good deal in Kaufmann.  At least the
crazy talk has stopped ( see M8 forever upgrades).

OTOH, there is that pesky S2 camera that sucked resources from a R camera...
( My thoughts on both the S2 and the Digi-R are well on record, so no going
there).

Kaufmann has been good in new product intros.....M9, S2 ( not my cuppa), and
lenses.

I think the best USED buy out there in Leica Cameras is the M8.  Why?  The
M8 is a sleeper.  Digi-M at a price point of $2K.  Not a bad deal when the
only real alternative is $7K.  Yes, the sensor is smaller; yes, the WA
lenses I love are not as wide in FOV; yes, there is that menu thing....  But
overall, how else can you get into a direct digital M without spending your
life's savings?  ( remember, I am a retired amateur.. there is NO ROI for an
amateur.  There is only alternative ways to save or spend money.)

I am not in tune with the Lux line of Leicas.... the P+S versions .  But I
guess they produce revenue and presumably profit, without sucking away
R+D....that is good.

Lenses?  A lot of new intros in the past few years....  All good lenses.
Prices have outstripped my means, so used lenses are my main source of "new"
optics.    New lens intros means folks are parting with their "old"
lenses.....  and they come up on the market for sale pretty reasonably.  So
it meets my needs.

Yes, I think Kaufmann has been pretty good for Leica..... at least for
me....

Frank Filippone
Red735i at earthlink.net