Subject: [Leica] M lens 21mm F2.8 pre ASPH
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Wed, 29 Jun 2011 00:28:33 -0700

Unfortunately with respect to distortion, the f/2.8 Biogon has little
to do with the 21 Biogon for RF, and the 38, 43, 53 and 75 Biogons
for larger formats. Those were all nearly symmetrical designs, like
the SA.

The new 21/4.5 Biogon is more closely related to those, and again has
little to do with the f/2.8 Biogon.

For film the 21/4.5 Biogon is outstanding, especially with respect to
distortion. Unfortunatly, it really doesn't work on digital M's.

When you look at a distortion curve that just keeps on increasing (in
the negative direction) as it gets closer to the border, you're
dealing with true barrel distortion, which is quite easy to correct.
If the distortion heads back to zero again as it gets to the corners,
you're dealing with 'mustache' distortion, which generally looks
nastier, and is harder to correct due to the higher order corrections
required.

Retrofocus lenses tend to mustache distortion. The f/2.8 Biogon has
this, the Elmarits have this, the Super Elmar has this, the Wide
Angle Tri-Elmar has this and the Summilux has more than any of those.
Note: the pre-ASPH Elmarit does not have the most. What it has is
astigmatism, coma and chromatic aberrations in the corners that is
worse than the others; ie, it is softer and has more flare in the
corners.

When you're at f/5.6 all this is largely irrelevant, as usually other
factors conspire to make your pictures not as good as you'd like,
rather than the lens faults. But if you want to shoot at f/2.8 to
f/4, the other candidates are all better than the pre-ASPH Elmarit in
the corners.

All this doesn't mean you can't take pleasing pictures with it. One
of my favourite lenses is the thin T-E 90mm, which is acknowledged to
be one of the poorer performing lenses that Leica made in the last 40
years, along with the 21 Elmarit. Mine is a fairly good example with
no flare problems. But I like many of the pictures I've made with the
T-E. That's good enough for me. I'm not going to compare it in a head
to head resolution/contrast test with the 90 AA, but here I've sold
the AA and kept the T-E (and got a late pre-AA Summicron). Use the
lenses you like.

I would love to have a near zero distortion 21 like the f/4.5 Biogon
for my M9, but there isn't one available. So I shoot with other
lenses that give me images I like, and use correction software to fix
the distortion when that becomes objectionable.

It's extremely hard to make a very high performance retrofocus 21
(meaning great MTF and other tested parameters) that also has low
distortion. It takes a very large lens that's relatively slow.
However, it's possible to correct distortion in software, but most of
the other optical faults are not easy to fix, so I'm glad Leica chose
the path they did with the new Super-Elmar. It's a worthy 21st.
century successor to the 21/3.4 SA.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design