Subject: [Leica] IMG: Listen to your eyes - Part II -Geoff
From: philippe.amard at sfr.fr (philippe.amard)
Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2011 09:35:14 +0200

Le 23 juin 11 ? 09:09, Geoff Hopkinson a ?crit :

> Hi my Metzian friend! I like this set very much. You have portrayed
> the
> atmosphere very well. On my first look through I might be inclined to
> actually raise my black point some for a little more darks and to
> reduce the
> impression that we are seeing brighter than what our eyes would when
> standing there.

> I mean with first 3824 and  cuddling couple 3862 mainly.

Thank you Geoff!
In fact those two are nearly unedited - raw as is in a way - for the
remainder I mainly pushed, read got the slider to the right, the
deeper tones to preserve detail in the shadows, and moved the the
lower mid to restore some form of constrast. I have also noticed that
the Nef gives feeble blacks and usually have to get the black slider a
couple of clicks before getting what I want - I don't use profiles,
just as when I cook, I taste from time to time, sometimes I spit too ;-)

> Could be that I am
> looking for Leica darks too! For same reason I might sharpen a
> little for
> screen. Both personal preference things.

Agreed for the BW - I'd need some software to mimick film grain though
as noise gets in if I sharpen too much.

> I love the expressions and postures caught and movement in 3832 and
> 3857
> Good job!

Thanks, my intent was to share the atmosphere of Metz when it looks
like Bacelona at night :-)
And it was fun to shoot with one lens only, and no zoom; back to
basics and my Pentax times ...
Only that the Spot was safer at lower speeds ...
With the R9 diesel 1/15 is the extreme limit for sharpness and
vibration blur ( cf BW boy lying on the dance floor) - the L1 fares
better too.

> You should get an M9 and fast glass ;-)

I might some day, when they have updated to high ISO while retaining
true tones at 100. In the meantime I'm doing with what available gear
I have .. :-)

Thanks for your much appreciated honest feedback my friend.

Amiti?s
Philippe