Subject: [Leica] Whales off Pender Island
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2011 18:49:35 +0930

> They are pretty dangerous animals. Aren't they the largest carnivores on
> Earth?

They would have to be up there: up to 9-10m and 10t.  Colossal squid
are longer, but I doubt anything would be more massive.

> I don't remember the precise situation but one of the early photographers
> following an >Arctic expedition wrote a description of how an Orca lunged
> over the ice near where he was >standing at his tripod, trying to get at
> him, presumably for lunch...

That was Herbert Ponting, the photographer* on the Terra Nova
expedition, but he had a dogsled team with him at the time, and it is
likely that the orca thought that the dog braks were seals.

*This was before leicas existed.  If they had, I am sure Ponting would
have had one.  Does that make this on-topic?

Howard, they're still great photos.

Marty