Subject: [Leica] Another R option (now M9)
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Sun, 12 Jun 2011 23:42:58 -0700

He has a lot of good points, and some that are irrelevant.

I'm not sure I'd want an M that had all the things he wrote about,
but I'd sure like some.

A viewfinder with more accurate framelines would be nice, but it's
not necessary for me. However, having a more accurate focussing
method, or at least a reasonable aid would be great, especially if it
didn't go out of whack as easily as the present setup. With film,
going out of adjustment a bit could be tolerated for a while. With
digital, it can't. I like looking through a good M finder, but some
modernization should happen

Speed of operation, especially write times and speedy review are very
important for me, and that is the one aspect of the M8/9 that really
grates on me at times.

A better LCD? Sure, why not now that they are available. Long shutter
speeds? This truly baffles me. My cable release (which I use when I
use shutter speeds longer than one second, has huge long exposure
capability. These are things that I just didn't realize were issues.

Cost? I'd always like things to cost less. Doesn't necessarily happen.

The dynamic range of the sensor and the various other issues he
mentions are a mixed bag. Yes, I would like the camera to go to 100K
ISO noiselessly, but I'm quite happy (mostly) with the results in the
range it does have. It hasn't been a huge limitation. DR is fine in
comparison to the other cameras I have and doesn't appear worse to me
in practice than that of the Canon 5DII. Artifacts around shots into
the sun is not something I've noticed, but I have notices that all
digital cameras have some issues when there is a severely blown light
source in the pictures. The Canon achieves some of it's noise
reduction, artifact suppression etc. by having a fairly aggressive AA
filter and software smudging. It's not a direction I like in general.
All in all, the M9 output is preferable to me to the Canon 5DII
output under similar circumstances unless I'm in 6400ISO territory,
so for the moment I'll take it as it is. Improvement is always wished
for, but not necessarily in the same direction as digilloyd's
preferences.

As usual, his comments are reasonable and balanced, even though his
preferences are really not always mine.

As for trashing/praising the Leica, it's true. It's also true about
Nikons and Canons or whatever, but since people didn't have to spend
as much for basic entry, they're maybe not quite as zealous about it.

--

       Henning J. Wulff
  Wulff Photography & Design
mailto:henningw at archiphoto.com