Subject: [Leica] What film did HCB use?
From: mark at rabinergroup.com (Mark Rabiner)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 04:57:03 -0400

A copy would not be made on 35mm film again it would be made on 4x5 sheet
film but even then to say that Picto or any custom printer printed HCB
prints for collectors for any conceivable reason is a slam to Picto which is
absurd and they'd surely not appreciate nor would the collectors buying
those prints.
A print from EVEN an 4x5 copy neg is a huge compromise compared to a print
from the original negative.  Not matter how carefully its done put those
prints side by side and no one wants the copy of the copy. Which is why its
not done.
In any other graphics process the lower you are in the run the move value
the print. NOT in photography where printing from an original negative does
not damage the neg at all. conceivably millions of prints can me made from
an original negative.  Perhaps a dupe would be made in case of fire or for
record keeping purposes.
It might seem logical that somewhere from someone who had to made extensive
dodging and burning manipulations to make a print from a  certain neg that
copy neg from the print might be in the workflow I'd like an example which
could be corroborated by a URL of such a case I doubt its at all common if
it exists at all.
I'd highly doubt I'd would be in the case of an HCB neg as he was not going
to be making the print in the first place.
I have to say this because this absurdity has been repeated on the list more
than once and more than twice. It shows a basic lack of common sense of the
basics of photography technique. A basic rule being keep the generations to
a minimum.
A copy of a copy is not what anyone ever wants at all. There is little to no
excuse for it. If I found out a print id bought for real money was made for
a copy neg I'd demand my money back on the spot. And I think even the
stupidest collectors would do the same.

Mark

By the way look at the cut side you can make out a corner of a sprocket hole
and also the number 39.
What it looks like to me is its the last shot on the roll which often gets
damaged.

Mark William Rabiner

Replies: Reply from benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney) ([Leica] What film did HCB use?)