Subject: [Leica] Horrible but stunning
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Fri, 10 Jun 2011 12:13:50 +0930

I think 'In cold Blood' raises more questions than it answers, but
it's an interesting take on the question.

I think I must have a weird point of view on this, because this type
of work always raises questions about "should the photographer have
done something" but it's the last thing I would ever think.  Bad
things happen whether you document them or not, whether you see and
experience them or not.  To me, the question of should the
photographer help or not is the same as asking if everyone should help
someone near them in trouble.  You help if you want to, or think you
should.  If what you do is document bad things and show a wider
audience, then that can be helping too, but even if it isn't, that
doesn't make it wrong, nor does it mean you must help.  I doubt Darcy
could have prevented or significantly alleviated anything that
happened to Julie, and if even one person who sees this changes their
own life or helps change someone else's, then to me it's worthwhile.

And irrespective of any of that, it's really great work and must have
required incredible effort and persistence.

Marty

On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 11:59 AM, Jayanand Govindaraj
<jayanand at gmail.com> wrote:
> Richard,
> Read "In Cold Blood":
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Cold_Blood
>
> http://www.amazon.com/Cold-Blood-Truman-Capote/dp/0375507906/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1307672933&sr=8-1
>
> Cheers
> Jayanand
>

> On Fri, Jun 10, 2011 at 7:54 AM, Richard Man <richard at imagecraft.com>
> wrote:
>> For the enlightened, can you elucidate?
>>
>> Reader's Digest version is fine :-)
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> On Thu, Jun 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM, Jayanand Govindaraj <jayanand at
>> gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> Moving and very sad. I think the debate about the role of the person
>>> documenting such issues was put to rest by Truman Capote many moons
>>> ago...
>>> Cheers