Subject: [Leica] Happy Motors Used Cars
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 23:28:33 +0530

Well, it will take a lot of effort to make manufacturing thrive in the
USA again, specifically because of employee cost (including medical
requirements). I was just seeing a video of a global investment
conference where it was said that the USA has only 20 million
manufacturing jobs left, and any uptick there will do nothing for the
employment rate. I sometimes wonder how most of the students with a
US$100,000 (or whatever) loan outstanding for a useless undergraduate
degree will ever pay it back. Surely the only bubble left in the USA
is in the cost of education (not the quality).

By the way all the Indians in the USA with an engineering degree,
especially from the highly regarded Indian Institutes of Technology,
have all been subsidised by the state to the tune of probably 75-80%
of the actual cost. So we know the problem, as most of them used to
emigrate! Just a couple of years ago they have started raising fees
quite steeply, but nowhere even remotely near a break even. The good
news is that in the last few years a lot of them are staying back here
and working, so the country is getting the benefit of all those
subsidies at last.

Lastly, the graduates and post graduates with good degrees can always
come to Asia, the job market is picking up here - there really seems
to be a shortage of good quality freshers.

In case you would like to see the conference, it is worth the effort,
I have given the link below. Be warned, though, that it is over a hour
and a quarter long, so settle down with popcorn and beer!

http://vimeo.com/19820749

Cheers
Jayanand