Subject: [Leica] Nathan's PAD 4/6/2011: we drink a lot of wine
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2011 11:51:18 +0930

Plenty of good, very good and excellent Australian wines are now
sealed with various screw closures.  A winemaker acquaintance told me
she was losing 1 in 12 bottles to cork failure even when using premium
corks (the harvest cycle in Portugal, where the vast majority of the
world's corks are sourced, has been accelerated to meet demand,
meaning that the cork that is harvested is often of lower quality),
but that the screw closures have solved that.  The only downside is
that the wine ages more slowly, because the top doesn't breathe.
Could be a consideration if you're buying new vintages of wines that
need a lot of ageing and you want to drink them sooner than later.  We
mostly buy to drink, not to store, so its not a problem.

Marty