Subject: [Leica] William Eggleston on the Today Show
From: montoid at earthlink.net (Montie Talbert)
Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 01:48:23 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

He's an acquired taste, if one is inclined to acquire it. ;-)

Some of his very early work, IMHO, is somewhat palatable for
various reasons, mostly nostalgic and some technical prowess,
I think, but when going thru the bulk of his work, I hold with
those who feel that he has somehow transformed power snap shooting
into an extremely lucrative endeavor...how and why that happened
is, of course, a whole new topic.

Montie

>>Chris,
If that is the explanation, I still don't get it! (-:

I am in Richard's camp - I really do not like Eggleston - his photographs
look banal to me.

On the other hand I just got my copy of Bruce Davidson's 'Outside Inside' -
it is stunning both in the quality of content and the printing - highly
recommended. I got it from Amazon UK with free delivery to India.
Considering it weighs half a ton, that was a big saving by itself. This the
link, though I paid only GBP 110 for it a month ago:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bruce-Davidson-Outside-Journey-Consciousness/dp/386521908X/ref=sr_1_1

Publisher link with sample pages:
http://www.steidlville.com/books/958-Outside-Inside.html

Cheers