Subject: [Leica] IMG: Uncle Marty in conversation
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sun, 29 May 2011 13:28:53 -0700

Thanks, everyone!  Ted, it looks like I was following your advice long
before I knew you.  :-)  And it's even from the shadowish side, with
rimlight on his hands and face.

Steve, great guess!  Uncle Marty was in fact a New York City cab driver
for most of his working life. In later years, he became a transit fare
collector in a subway token booth. He was a bit of a Damon Runyan
character, complete with the speech patterns, and full of stories about
the city.

Jim: The discussions were very entertaining. My parents were staunch
Democrats. But Uncle Marty saw the underbelly of New York in his job,
and read the New York Daily News. He loved to make right-wing
pronouncements, which would set my mother off. The two of them would go
at it, and it was all a big game that he thoroughly enjoyed. It sounded
like a script from "All in the Family." :-)

I'm pretty sure this picture was taken during one of those "discussions."

--Peter

<http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/pklein/family/kleinfamily/Scan-110524-0008-MartyHands.jpg.html>