Subject: [Leica] PESO: Ich liebe dich
From: pklein at threshinc.com (Peter Klein)
Date: Sat, 28 May 2011 15:31:49 -0700

 > 2011/5/28 Jim Shulman <jshulman at judgecrater.com> wrote:
 > http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/focusit/ich+liebe+dich+sm.jpg.html

This one really hit me.

Most of you probably know that "Ich liebe dich" is German for "I love
you." It is also the title of a beautiful, tender lied (art song) by
Beethoven, which is often sung at weddings. So on one hand, we have this
beautiful sentiment, on the other hand, an abundance of avoirdupois that
triggers some nasty responses in our culture.  The impact of the photo
is in the juxtaposition of those two things.

Granted, the young lady herself invites the juxtaposition--she chose to
get and display the tattoo.  Yet the photo disturbs me. It's poignant,
but also cruel. She looks sad, which plays to the stereotype that big
girls don't get love. If she looked happy or was with a partner, it
would have a completely different effect, equally striking, but not so
disturbing.

Here's the English translation of "Ich liebe dich," the poem is by Karl
Friedrich Wilhelm Herrosee.

I love you as you love me,
in the evening and the morning,
nor was there a day when you and I
did not share our troubles.

And when we shared them
they became easier to bear;
you comforted me in my distress,
and I wept in your laments.

Therefore, may God's blessing be upon you,
You, my life's joy.
God protect you, keep you for me,
and protect and keep us both.

Listen to the song: