Subject: [Leica] IMG: Webster
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2011 20:03:37 -0700

Doug Herr SHOWED:

> I've just returned from the California Foundation for Birds of Prey open
> house; I'll have several more photos posted sooner or later but the first
> is a flight demonstration of a falconry bird, Webster:
>
> http://wildlightphoto.com/birds/falconidae/webster02.jpg

Hi Doug,
Absolutely awesome! The bird is moving toward you. You're manual focusing
and trip the shutter at precisely the right moment. Your sight, trigger
finger reaction and re-actions are amazingly intune. There isn't any thought
process going on and hitting a frame on the mark as this is. Think about
anything and the bird is gone!

A suggestion my friend. :-) >>>Bummed that I cut his wingtip off. <<<< Only
you need to know that information given the amazing photograph as we see it!

May I suggest while we.... "the whole crew!" If you did not tell us you
clipped the wing nobody would've noticed as I see this photograph on the
screen!

Look the photograph flashed up and I uttered an unrepeatable phrase and
looked at it in locked admiration.  The fact you nicked off the wing tip was
never even noticed! And nor would anyone else have noticed until you gave it
away.

I mean this is such a magnificent photograph of bird in-flight basically
coming at you, which is a very very difficult subject to keep in focus at
the best of times manually, even with an autofocus type camera. I appreciate
your honesty about telling us about the wing tip. Points up yer an
honourable shooter. However me old son, unless it's so highly visual to lay
people I think best just let it be. But then that's me.

My passing thought on an amazing photograph. Yes we've all seen your
abilities in handling gear and birds in flight before. But this one just
seems extra special. Good on you once again!

cheers,
ted