Subject: [Leica] BLOG: Mapplethorpe's Portraits and portraits of my wife
From: gwpics at me.com (Gerry Walden)
Date: Sat, 21 May 2011 11:06:42 +0100

I saw a major retrospective of Mapplethorpe in Vienna a number of years ago
and was totally knocked out by the sheer quality of the images which
absolutely stunning. I went with a young lady I know and warned her before
hand about the nature of the images and she made a 'seen one, seen them all'
type reply. That is until we got to the superb colour prints of flowers when
she became extremely embarrassed and said she couldn't possibly be seen
looking at them and retreated immediately to the coffee lounge of the
gallery! I could see where she was coming from (no puns please!) but was
rather startled by her reaction when you consider the nature of his more
sensational images.

Currently here in Southampton we have an exhibition of work by Andy Warhol,
and the most stunning item there is the portrait of Warhol taken by
Mapplethorpe, who died far earlier than he should have.

Gerry

Gerry Walden LRPS
+44 (0)23 8046 3076 (Office)
+44 (0)797 287 7932 (Mobile)