Subject: [Leica] Houseboats on Lake Dal, Kashmir
From: matthew at hunt.tc (Matthew Hunt)
Date: Fri, 20 May 2011 18:30:53 +0100

Dear Larry

Thank you for showing these.  It reminded me of my visits in 1982 and 1983
when I was a student on the 'Lonely Planet' trail.  I stayed on a less
luxurious houseboat and enjoyed the views from the little shikara boats and
the relaxed and clear atmosphere.  The toilet opened directly into the lake
and I soon caught a severe gastroenteritis and visited a pharmacy where I
was put on a drip for dehydration, which nearly killed me from anaphylaxis.
(This has given me useful insight with my allergy patients.)  Fortunately
they were ready with adrenaline, and half an hour later having paid my bill
I was out on the Srinagar boulevard, not really wanting to back to the
houseboat.  A young local came up and asked me if I liked Kashmir, to which
in a burst of homesickness I replied 'No'.  He took me home to his family
and fed and watered me for several days.  The following year I went back but
this time not on my own, and were treated to a great tour of the region and
rode donkeys to see the remains of a glacier.  I bought a Kashmiri
goatherd's woollen cloak which was a real hit at student parties later!

He came to stay when I was at Clinical School at Oxford, it was winter and
although covered in snow like Kashmir it was damp English snow and he was
unhappy and homesick.  My turn to cheer him up.   We are still friends.  A
few years ago he phoned me on Christmas morning to wish me a Happy
Christmas... he is a Muslim.

I have lots of Kodachrome 64 slides that one day I may get round to
scanning.  I had an Olympus OM10 that was stolen on a train later.  I'll
never forget the bus journey from Jammu up to Srinagar.  Have you any photos
of that?

Best wishes, Matthew
Matthew Hunt
Cottenham, Cambridge, UK