Subject: [Leica] Friday Flowers, SonC -- SHADOW SIDE DESCRIPTION
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 13 May 2011 12:43:16 -0700

Robert Meier OFFERED:
Subject: Re: [Leica] Friday Flowers, SonC

> The shadow side would be 90 degrees to the right of where he shot from.

Actually Robert you are wrong! :-):-) No offence intended! :-) If I
understand your description that would be "back lighting??"

Look at the photograph and the sun or main light is coming from the left as
we look at the picture. Sonny's shoot position is too the right and on the
off side (shadowside) illuminating of the flower.

Even the highlights on what appear to be pods not yet opened have highlights
on the left as we look at the frame. And he is definitely "shooting from the
shadow side of these pods." You do not have to be in a back light position
to shoot from the shadow side.

This kind of "Shooting from the shadow side" is something once you see
it.... "Rembrandt lighting actually." And look for it as you compose your
photos it eventually becomes so automatic you just move to that side and
shoot. WHY?

Well in 99.9 % of the time that kind of lighting is the most enhancing on
most subjects regardless of topic. It adds depth, shape, contrast and
enhances designs of almost every thing you look at.

So please have another peek and now that I've explained it, hopefully you'll
have a better idea of my description.
Thank you.
Cheers,
ted