Subject: [Leica] Dumb list?
From: wanderjan at gmail.com (Jan Decher)
Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 14:03:47 -0400

I am sure everybody's list would look different.  I think the objective here
was to include some really cheap and some more expensive cameras.  Mine
would definitely rule out the Canon A1 because the one I bought new in 1979
after a summer job  in the steel factory in Germany for 6 weeks was a huge
headache and went back for electronic repairs several times.  I replaced it
with the original F1 - excellent.
My lower-end Canon to include would be the EF (solid, superb handling) or
the FTb (best price-performance), nothing from the 80s (the dark decade
design-wise IMO).
 I would leave the R6 and the Hassi 500 on the list, maybe include the
Olympus OM3 as a battery-independent SLR.
The Contax Aria or S2 with Pancake Tessar would be on my list and something
basic (Canon, Minolta Hi-matic?, Olympus RD) as a P&S rangefinder.
Jan

From: Douglas Sharp <douglas.sharp at gmx.de>
Swap the Canon AE-1 for an A1, too. The A1 is on the s/h market at give-away
prices and does a lot more than the AE1 - and is reported to be a lot more
reliable (if you can get one without the squealing "asthmatic" noises [if it
has, all it needs is a simple CLA - which is a sensible idea anyway]).
Otherwise, a pretty good selection.