Subject: [Leica] Hello and A Few Photos
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 12:31:02 -0700

Micah McCoy SHOWED:

> Hello, I'm Micah McCoy and have just started reading the group. I can tell
> I'll enjoy seeing all of your awesome work!
>
> Here is a photo I took at my "niece's" birthday part. I took my M6 along
> with some black and white and took a few shots.
>
> http://gallery.leica-users.org/v/freedomflash/BirthdayParty/img832.jpg.html

 Hello Micah, glad to have a new lad aboard. :-)

One little thought. Please never take any critiques personally! When a
comment of your photography is given it is to assist you to become a better
photographer? Improve your camera handling and the mirad of other little
bitty things that make all of us better in our passions for photography and
being a good photographer.

I looked at the three images, assuming they appear all from the same BD
party.

img832:
My first reaction is to the out of focus background and find it distracting
in taking away from the child in the foreground. Even though the people out
of focus are relating to whatever the child is or was doing?

How to correct this? My guess is, you're "shooting the reactions?" But
focused on the child because she is what people are laughing about. But the
child isn't the subject because we can't see what she is doing? And my gut
feeling is? You missed the shot because of not focusing on the right action.
Or re-action in this case..... the people in the background.

A question? What were you shooting and thinking about when you took this?
The child or the people? I suppose the question should be.... "what was your
motivation to shoot?"

img829:
I hate to tell you, But.... You held the camera crooked! I slight Photoshop
crop correction of removing the tilt down on the left side as we look at
this and it would've been straight. It's tiny little things like this, until
pointed out to a shooter, Look don't feel bad we all do it! Trust me after
61 years of shooting for a living, I still check verticals and horizontals
even when shooting. Or if I have an off tilt shot I correct during post
production.  Once you start to watch for this kind of thing you'll find it
comes as a second sense without thought.

img828:
I think you could've made this into a horizontal photo by cropping or even
shooting it as a horizontal. Look at  full frame as we see it here. Come up
from the bottom and crop off at the half way point between child's bottom
and the bottom edge of the photo.  Then crop off the top to a point just
where the back wall and ceiling join, completely eliminating the ceiling
lights! By doing this you eliminate the light distraction and it kind of
strengthens the over all look of the photo. Your eyes staywith the people
subjects and child.

These comments are offered humbly and I would trust you take them kindly as
no offence was or is intended.

By the same token I'm not always right! :-) As I'm sure there'll be other
comments about my comments! :-) :-) :-)
cheers,
Dr. ted :-)
tedgrantphoto.com