Subject: [Leica] 560MM leica lens
From: henningw at archiphoto.com (Henning Wulff)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 20:54:06 -0700

Hi Jayanand,

Canons have a similar over-ride system as do some other systems which
works quite well, but for manual focus neither can touch the slide
focussing, especially for rapidly moving subjects.

In the late 70's after having used the 400/6.8 for a number of years
I got fed up with the lens' field curvature and sold it, getting the
Nikon 400/5.6PC which was their first foray into low dispersion
optics. It was 'ED' before there was 'ED', and it was an outstanding
lens optically - miles ahead of the 400/6.8. I haven't tried it
lately as my son has it, but it was better than anyone else's 400 at
least until the year 2000 including all of the later Nikons. However,
the handling sucked and I often regretted selling the 400/6.8 as I
really couldn't do wildlife with it. Shortly before 2000 I switched
from Nikon to Canon for a number of reasons, and acquired the 100-400
Canon. Talking only about the 400mm end, at it's best it's as good
optically as the 400/6.8, but nowhere near the 400/5.6 Nikkor.
However, it was a zoom, had autofocus and above all had IS. That
together made it preferable to the Nikkor. The zoom and the IS also
made it preferable for the most part to the 400/6.8 Leica.

Optical performance is one thing but having a lens that can make it
easy to get the shot is even more important.

A couple of years ago I decided to find a 400/6.8 again, and I got it
as well as the 560 for a good price. When it is bright out, and I
don't need the IS, and I don't need the zoom part, I use the 400/6.8.
I only use the 560 when I REALLY need the extra reach, as it doesn't
handle nearly as well as the 400. The 400 is great on full frame, but
is especially nice on the 7D, as the viewfinder is good and you get
the extra magnification. I also use it on the Panasonic G1 and GH2,
but the resolution isn't quite good enough for the GH2 sensor, and
considering you're dealing with an angle of view equivalent to an 800
on full frame, finding your target quickly can be challenging!