Subject: [Leica] DMR V D3s
From: benedenia at gmail.com (Marty Deveney)
Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2011 15:47:48 +0930

On Mon, Apr 25, 2011 at 11:13 AM,  <afirkin at afirkin.com> wrote:
> In my experience, using higher ISO in daylight, even when a bit dull is
> more successful. The shorter exposure keeps the noise interference to a
> minimum, so for example, if you take a 3200 ISO shot in a dark room the
> noise will be horrible, but if you shoot in bright sunshine the image will
> look almost unaffected by noise. I think it has to do with exposure time.
> So you do not risk as much when you use it to increase shutter speed in
> brighter conditions.

I agree 100%.  Whenever I see "amazing quality" from cameras that
aren't really much good at high ISOs, I know the photos are always
taken in good light.  Use them where the light is bad, where high ISO
counts for more than improving shutter speed, and things always get a
lot worse.  If you only need high ISOs to get higher shutter speeds in
decent light, then a camera like the M8/9 or DMR is fine.  In dim, bad
light, the D3s is king.  On the other hand, the DMR gives better fine
detail than any other dSLR I have ever seen or used.  The only similar
sized sensors I've seen that give better results use grade A chips,
need to be mapped before each shot and are cooled.  These obviously
aren't in cameras for regular photography.

Lenses are another matter.  Nikon make some exemplary lenses, but
Leica's lenses are still better.  The Nikkors are easier to get.

Marty

Message from afirkin at afirkin.com (afirkin at afirkin.com) ([Leica] DMR V D3s)