Subject: [Leica] Leica Japan stories
From: hopsternew at gmail.com (Geoff Hopkinson)
Date: Sun, 24 Apr 2011 08:57:29 +1000

Nathan I am not so sure personally. Two separate situations that Peter has
posted about though.

On the Summilux 24 of course I have no idea about who said what and
interpretations or attitudes etc. It would have been very disappointing for
Peter to think that he was going to be shown the lens and be able to handle
it and then be left waiting. However if the lens was new stock not unpacked
for display or demonstration, I'm not surprised that they would be reluctant
to open the box and let someone, anyone try it. Some buyers want such an
expensive item to be perfect when delivered to them or if it is a demo may
expect a discount. Some Japanese collectors have Leica items shrink wrapped
and store them away never to be opened. From their perspective a lens that
has had packaging opened is less attractive and valuable, even when the item
itself is unmarked. Of course a dealer who had a lens out on their shelf
unpacked ought to be happy to spend some time with a prospective customer
and let you put such a lens on your camera to try.

On the repair quote, Peter has certainly done very well to have that work
completed by Don Goldberg so reasonably. I do not know exactly what Leica
Japan quoted on. It may well be for more work than was performed by Don. The
policy in Solms and New Jersey at least is that every camera function is
checked and the quote would include any additional work that they consider
is required to return the camera to as new function in every respect. The
entire camera (not just the first requested repair) is then guaranteed to be
functional as new for twelve months. Of course I do not know what the quote
included. To compare fairly you need to know what Leica Japan proposed to
perform then guarantee everything against what DAG actually did and
what their guarantee covers. If they are doing a CLA on the complete camera
as part of the repair then that price is extremely reasonable . Good for
them if so.

Cheers
Geoff

*Life's not black and white, except at both ends*
http://www.pbase.com/hoppyman