Subject: [Leica] Leica ownership
From: tedgrant at shaw.ca (tedgrant at shaw.ca)
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2011 21:24:29 -0700

I find this a very interesting topic, as I never related to the gear in a
similar manner as some of you!

My earliest Leica pre-M4's was around 1962-3 when a friend let me play with
his whatever model Leica it was.  It was Leica ... "gee isn't this what
Bresson uses?"  But I didn't get all hully gully over it being a Leica.

However, when I became more aware, it seemed many of the finest
photojournalist's used a Leica and if they shot what they did with a
Leica..... READY?  :-)  We have nearly all done this.... "If he shoots those
kind of pictures with a LEICA ....   SO CAN I!  " :-) WRONG! :-( We
eventually learn it's the human holding the camera that makes the
difference! Not the LEICA!

I bought "3 M4 bodies and 4 lenses. .. 21 - 35 - 50  Summilux - 90
Summicron!" Some time later when the Noctilux was available I bought one.
The first one available for sale in Canada! Still have it, it's never been
cleaned and it still works just fine! ... :-) And no lens shade for over 30
plus years! Because one of the pins fell out and lens barrel and Leica
wanted a fortune to replace the pin, so I obviously gave them an
unrepeatable comment! :-) .......  and the lens hasn't had a lens shade
since about 1980! :-) Eventually moving along to "3 - M5's," sold... "3 -
M6's, sold 2." Finally 3 - M7's" sold! Now only one M8!  Frustrating on
occasion! :-(

Hopefully a few up coming projects may well change that and it'll be  "3 -
M9's! " WHY?  Well that's how I've shot my assignments for the past umpteen
dozen years. Please don't ask... WHY!  Basically I hate changing lenses and
I write with my cameras! No time for fiddling when things are happening!

And today, my 21 year old grandson attending a photo academy is carrying my
first purchased M6 and having a great time with it, while also carrying a
digital SLR Canon of some kind!

I shoot with an M8, love the camera. never think about the good, bad and
uglies compared to an M9. Yes I would like to have an M9 or three, maybe
shortly.

What I still can not fathom: the M8 and M9 difference? ....... the clients I
shoot for with an M8, still ooohhhh and ahhhhh over the end product of my
shoot. So, as long as they do that and pay my invoices it might be a tad
longer before I pop for an M9!  Please don't start to tell me about the
difference one unto the other, as I'm somewhat aware of the difference. And
I have no doubt I will have one or three in the not to far future. I think
the most important factor is... my lenses will give me what I actually see
in the view finder. Rather than me using wider, as in a 21mm so I don't have
to be concerned about clipping a frame if it were a 35mm lens. But I do peek
at the screen and if it's cool?  No problem move on. A slight OOPS?  Take a
step back and shoot it again! :-) See how easy it is to make corrections?
;-)

And no I never slept with one other than while in an unheated tent on the
Arctic ocean ice! :-) In a sleeping bag. I did keep two of them in the
sleeping bag to keep them warm. Well I hoped that was the case! :-)

Were my main concerns about the M's at the time??? No, I believe my thoughts
were more of "what if.... the ice broke-up in the middle of night and "what
the hell do we do then?" :-)

cheers,
ted

Replies: Reply from richard at imagecraft.com (Richard Man) ([Leica] Leica ownership)