Subject: [Leica] IMG: Monterey scrub jay NOW OIS
From: jayanand at gmail.com (Jayanand Govindaraj)
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 20:18:12 +0530

Yes - at least on  some Nikon lenses the bokeh improves and becomes smoother
if you turn it off. I see this for certain with the first generation 70-200,
and so does Bjorn Rorslett, a very well regarded reviewer on Nikon
equipment:

http://www.naturfotograf.com/AFS70-200VR_rev04.html

Remember it does not help you with subject movement - which is what most
users fail to take into consideration when cribbing about stabilized lenses
- I learnt it the hard way (lots of discarded photographs!). The new second
generation stabilized (VR2) lenses can be used on tripods as well.
Cheers
Jayanand