Subject: [Leica] Golden Trout
From: lrzeitlin at gmail.com (Lawrence Zeitlin)
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 2011 10:52:58 -0400

Bob writes:

"In June I'm going to Golden Trout Camp workshop. It's at about 10,000 feet
and I

hear that toward the end of the week day hikes go up to 13,000 feet and are

about 6mi long."

- - - - -

Bob,

When my wife and I were younger and fitter we took XC  ski vacations on the
10th. Mountain Division trail in Colorado. The trails were at 10,000 ft.
elevation with a few peaks up to 12,000 ft. Up that high, without proper
training, a 10 lb. weight feels like 20 lb. The key to comfortable living at
high altitude is accommodation, accommodation, accommodation. There is no
way that you can get your lungs and heart in shape by a week's training at
sea level. It would be far better to go to a resort at the mountain altitude
a few days early and let your body get used to the thinner air. The longer
the better. Sherpas climb to the top of Mt. Everest without supplementary
oxygen but then they have lived above 10,000 ft. all their lives.  It helps
to also choose lighter photo gear. Perhaps a Leica rather than a Hassi.

Larry Z

Replies: Reply from rgacpa at yahoo.com (Bob Adler) ([Leica] Golden Trout)
Reply from kcarney1 at cox.net (Ken Carney) ([Leica] Golden Trout)
Reply from images at comporium.net (Tina Manley) ([Leica] Golden Trout)